Monday, April 21, 2008

"First Light" by Simon Brown

This weekend my colleague Simon Brown filmed his movie "First Light". A short film with no dialogue, featuring 3 local Actors (Renee Cataldo, Phil Peleton, and James Butters). James (Ogle) and I volunteered to be the "on set Stills Photographers" for Simon. Originally I was to do Saturday's shoot, and James would do Sunday, but luckily for me they let me double team Sunday with James as well. I've always wanted to hang around on set to see what happens behind the scenes of shooting a movie, and after listening to my friend Matt Mueller's comments about his job (he's one of the Photographers that works in the Camera Department, he's usually on set shooting stills for lighting reference but he also doubled as the Stills Photographer on The Lovely Bones film shoot), I figured this would be a totally fun opportunity, and it was!

My alarm clock went off at 4am Saturday morning, no, not by mistake. It felt like I almost pulled a muscle in my neck cause the alarm scared the crap out of me. My master plan of going to bed 'early' the night before was foiled, by me fooling around with some other photos I had just taken that day for Jess until around 1:30am. Anyways, it was pitch black, cold, and to make things more interesting it was also raining! First call on set was for 6am, but I had to get to Simon's house by 5:15am where the Actors were getting their makeup done.

On set at Princess Bay, about 5 minutes from my apartment, the rain had let up thankfully and the light was just starting to emerge. We started shooting the first scenes until the weather turned really bad around 9:30am. In less than 2 mintues it went from being OK to being a storm. So we all packed it in and went home. It didn't last too long however, so we all met up at 1pm to shoot scenes at the second location until around 6pm, and then moved back to Simon's house to shoot the one evening scene until about 9pm. At that point we all went home after a long days work. I uploaded my pics to my laptop and TRIED to go through a few of them...I was soooo tired I found myself falling asleep at my computer with my hand on the mouse, so I shut it down and went to bed...10pm, woohoo!

Up on Sunday at a leisurely 7am. First call was 7:30am, but since it was James' day I knew I could sleep in a little. We returned to Princess Bay to finish all the shots that got rained out on Saturday, and when I showed up at 8am, they had just finished setting up "unit" (the on set area that has all the food, etc.). No bad weather on Sunday, and by lunch the sun had actually come out and it was relatively nice out. So James and I double teamed shooting from opposite angles, and taking turns holding reflector cards on the Actors while filming. The day finished up around 6pm with the last shot filmed just minutes after losing available light (from the sun).

Overall a super fun weekend for me. Hey, someone wants me to run around all day shooting photos on set...sign me up! Now I know why Matt likes his job so much :) The only black spot on my weekend...somehow managing to lose 250 photos, and to make things worse they were the ones I most wanted to see! ...%@*&!! Candid shots of the Actors running back and forth along the beach in between takes, and a few still portraits of them under a tree. I think when I was dumping my cards onto my harddrive at lunch, somehow it didn't copy the entire card over. It said "Copy Completed", but I've now learned my lesson the hard way and will verify the contents BEFORE wiping my card clean...ugh. Well...I still came away with a few shots that I liked, so it wasn't a total loss.

And so ends the first day of filming...on to the next day!

This is me goofing around in between takes.




No comments: