Saturday, November 3, 2007

Home Sweet Home

Well, more like "home AWAY from home". So I've been here for just over 1 year now, October 25th was my 1 year anniversary. And yes it's taken me this long to finally upload some pictures of where I live!!! But I didn't actually move in until the beginning of January, so it hasn't taken me quite 1 year ok, so there! :P


Ok fine, I have to be honest, I had tidied up the place a bit this morning cause I was gonna have some friends over for a little bbq...good ol' typical Wellington weather put an end to that plan before it started. It can go from sunny and warm to grey, windy and cold in a matter of minutes. I had gone out to buy some steaks and veggies this morning, steaks from the butcher down the street and some asparagus and mushrooms from one of the large bulk style warehouse grocery stores. Shortly after returning home around 1:30 it started to get a little breezy and grey, so the bbq was put on hold for today. Guess I'll be pounding down a few kilos of red meat tonight!

So ya, since the place was relatively tidy, I figured I might as well snap a few pics and satisfy those of you who've been nagging me for pics of the apartment. Now I actually have NO idea about the square footage, I'd guess somewhere around 700-800 square feet? 2 bedrooms, 1 bathroom. More than enough room for me and my junk. I really can't see myself fitting into a studio or 1 bedroom. Some of the places I looked at when I first arrived here were ridiculous! Studio apartments where you could practically cook dinner while lying in bed! In a general comparison, I'd say that apartments here are DEFINITELY smaller than North American standards. Then again, Vancouver condos are now starting at 500 square feet as well, so maybe things aren't so different after all.

Rent is quoted weekly here, not sure where that comes from. My place is $1600 NZD/month, or $400/week. That's about $1150CAD/month. Not bad then compared to Toronto or Vancouver, but I am in the 'burbs. If this place was anywhere near downtown, the rent would be closer to $600-750/week easily. Ummm, what city am I living in again? The good thing is that the only utility you pay for here is electricity, gas if you've got it. Water is free, so is sewage and garbage disposal.
Ok. How 'bout some pics.


This is the kitchen. Note the combo washer-dryer unit located IN the kitchen. That was weird at first, but now I'm used to it being there. You can't tell from this angle, but the appliances here are also about 50% smaller in size than North American units. Note for all, NEVER EVER purchase a combo washer-dryer unit. I'd like to meet the person who thought it would be a good design idea. New Zealand, minus one point.


Those cardboard boxes beside the door are for storage. The garage has a small storage space built above your car, with a little attic style trap door. Yes those are some of the empty boxes I shipped my stuff down in last year. Obviously the spare room in the apartment has been serving as my internal lazy man's storage space :)


Wondering what that beige'ish looking structure is in the corner behind the plant? It's ummm...a dried bamboo plant? I...uhhh...errr...bought it like that? haha..ok fine. I haven't gotten around to throwing it out after it died.


Here's where I take away another point from New Zealand. Note how the glass shower enclosure doesn't actually seal the entire perimeter of the tub. How INGENIOUS!! Not only does it allow water to splash out onto the floor through the opening, but it's also FREEZING in winter. Must have been designed by the same genius who thought up the combo washer-dryers.


My bedroom...looks a bit spartan doesn't it. Maybe I'll get around to throwing more things in there one day. Recognize the BOSE iPod speaker on the ground...all the way from Markham to Los Angeles to New Zealand...thanks guys, best gift ever!

Yes that is the same picture that Lisa and Thomas have at home. "Piano Man" by Justin Bua. "Piano Man II" is the one hanging over the tv in the main room.

The 'guest' room...aka my sports-storage-laundry drying room. I know, you're asking yourself, "why does he need a drying rack if he's got a combo washer-dryer in the kitchen?" ...you get the point. So if anyone wants to visit, this is where you can stay. I'll clear it out for you...honest!!

So I thought I'd throw in a picture with myself. I don't think I'm in any of the pictures anywhere on this blog page, am I? Ya I probably look the same as I did the last time you saw me. And why yes, your keen eyes have spotted the frame over my left shoulder. Not that you can see what it is from this distance. I reprinted and framed the photo I sold in the photo exhibition. This one's for me.

Ok, this is NOT how sunny it was earlier today...almost though. I dug up some old pics I took a long time ago, but never sent out. I figured now would be as good a time as any to post them. This is the patio section out front of our building. There are 4 units in our building and we all get to share the patio and bbq. It's pretty nice out there. The view's not too shabby. Drop by I'll fire you up a steak or a burger.

Another view of the patio area. That's the big ass bbq on the left. Sweet stainless steel unit. You can grill for an army on that thing.

I think I already posted a picture similar to this somewhere before for Inglewoodhouse.


No comments: