Sunday, October 14, 2007

Portraits of Emma

So I'm trying to build up a portfolio of portraits and develop a wider range of shots to pull out of the bag...different looks and styles, environments, lighting conditions, etc. Aside from the typical "candid shot" type portraits, this was my first attempt at purposely going out to shoot portraits of someone. Enter Emma.


I first met Emma while trying to find something to shoot for the Not@Work exhibition. I took a couple shots of her at work and made a three piece collage..unfortunately I didn't get it framed in time for the show and now it's sitting on the wall at home. There's an image of that piece in a previous blog Quickie For Woodbrain. No loss though as I was taken by Emma's willingness to sit for a photo and her friendly attitude and smile...she's also got gorgeous eyes...wow.

So I took a few photos of her this weekend. I'm currently trying to figure out what kind final look I want to process them with, and these were a few really quick tests.

A little bit of a blur to soften up the image.

Leaning towards a sort of high key look on this one, but I think I may have pushed it a little too much.

Slightly different variations. The left one is pretty much how the camera saw things. The middle picture is slightly softened around the edges. The image on the right is a bit harder in terms of harsher contrast and desaturated a bit. Not necessarily a 'lomo' effect but in that direction.

Another shot that was pretty much 'as is' from the camera. I actually shot black and white that day, but used RAW so I could pull out colour shots as well if I wanted to. I had taken my lighting gear with me that day with the intention of also getting in some strobist practice, but the cafe was a little too busy, so these are all natural/available light shots. At least we were able to score a window seat. A little reflected or strobe light for rim lighting would've given Emma much needed separation from the background. Oh well...lesson learned for next time. A few more I left in black and white or toned.

I'll be heading up to Castlepoint with a group of friends for the long weekend this coming weekend (Oct 20-22). The infamous "Argies" have rented a pretty big house on the hill overlooking the beach and lighthouse. Should be a good time. Little do they know they'll all be my portrait guinea pigs though...haha :) I'll post more portrait shots as I continue to learn and experiment.


No comments: