Sunday, October 14, 2007

Boombox Gallery - Opening Night

Friday October 12, 2007 - Grand Opening party for Boombox Gallery. 56 Ghuznee Street, Wellington, NZ. A graffiti art gallery and graffiti/hip hop inspired clothing store.


Graffiti is pretty prevalent in Wellington, so much so that you'd think it was legal. I've always liked one artist in particular but didn't know who it was. To my luck, I was walking past an alley last week and noticed some spray cans lying on the ground. I poked my head into the store at the end of the alley and met Elie. Owner of Boombox Gallery. To my luck, 5 minutes later he introduced me to Ceap.One, the artist I've been looking for. Fast forward a few days, and I'm talking shots at the opening party for Elie. So here are a few snaps from friday. If you want to see more, check out the rest of the pics on my Flickr site here.


Tools of the trade...a box of spent cans. Good to know Ceap.One cleans up after himself :)


Inside the store. This was taken 2 days before the opening. Still a bit of setup and cleaning to do.


A few random shots. Invite only party kept the numbers to a manageable size inside the store and outside in the front alleyway. No matter where you go, everyone seems to love there hand signs.

A peek inside the girls' changeroom. All graffiti inside and outside the store was done by Ceap.One...he rolls with the Triple "S" Crew, don't ask me what any of that means...I just call him by his 'normal' first name.













A peek inside the mens' changeroom.

Elie outside in the alleyway the next afternoon. I was surprised he was awake and working the next day. Super friendly guy as well.

Just chillin'.

What's a graffiti/hip hop influenced store opening without a DJ? Couple of 12s, a CD 12, and a Numark.


Check the fresh matching kicks.
















Some people actually stopped to check out the art.

















Kickin' it to the fresh beats.

















Some of Elie's crew.

This guy reminded me of Jose...haha.


West wall of the alleyway.


No comments: