Thursday, February 14, 2008

Edge Jam In The Park

I'm a little slow in getting this one to the blog. On Saturday after watching the models and dancers at the "New Clothes For The New Year" show down at Queen's Wharf, I decided to walk back along the waterfront to see if I could find anything or anyone interesting to shoot. Little did I realize that right next door to Queen's Wharf, the Edge Jam In The Park was taking place in Frank Kitts Park. A free outdoor concert which featured Kiwi musical talent. They may not be a worldwide phenomenon yet, but most of the groups that played have toured in North America as well, so it's not just a bunch of garage bands hacking around on stage.

Beth Campbell and Sean Cunningham from Atlas. Their first release was Crawl which spent something like 9 weeks at number 1 on the charts, beating the previous record for weeks at number 1 held by a Kiwi group/singer. Sean is from the US and met Beth and her brother (also in the band) in California, where he was supposed to help them write music for their own solo careers. I guess they're all doing fine as is.

A fan waiting patiently on the fence for an autograph from Beth, shows her sign of approval with a 'thumbs up'.

When you smile and wave at someone, you'd be surprised how many people will smile and wave back...assuming they don't think you're some crazy loonatic I guess. I guess Beth and Lani didn't think I looked crazy :)

Lani Purkis, backing vocals and bass guitar for the group Elemeno P.

Like any concert there are always the screaming, yelling fans. Usually young girls, yearning for a brief glance or touch from their idolized lead singer. Here a young girl reaches out for Dave Gibson, lead vocals, of Elemeno P.

The look on her face says it all. Dave Gibson gets mobbed as he walks off stage and onto the barricades separating the stage from the fans. If at this point you may be wondering where I was standing in all this mayhem? Earlier on the security guard had seen me snapping the pics of Beth and Lani (above) and gave me a friendly nod of acknowledgement, so later on he was cool enough to let me in behind the barricade...so I cozied right up to the front of the stage beside the speakers...pretty cool :) Like my friend Karim says, it never hurts to ask, all they can do is say no.

And as a result of being right up by the stage, when Justyn Pilbrow (guitarist and backing vocals of Elemeno P) saw me, he flashed me his "Blue Steel" face.

More screaming fans and (below) an idea of what Frank Kitts Park looks like, standing with the harbour to your back, looking South towards the city.

No comments: