Monday, May 19, 2008

Portraits of Marzena

This is Marzena, the "Z" is pronounced like a "soft G". If you guessed Polish you're correct. She's a colleague of mine at work, she works downstairs in the Camera Department though. She's got really nice eyes and a genuine smile. A couple weeks ago she cut her hair really short and dyed it blonde, or I guess platinum blonde, almost white? Anyways, I thought it looked really good on her, so I asked her if I could shoot some portraits of her.

So this weekend I stopped by her house for a couple hours. I was hoping to get some outdoor shots as she lives like 2 minutes away from the Botanical Gardens, and also some indoor shots with nice natural window light. We ended up only doing the indoor shots, but that's cool cause I was super happy with what we got. I don't think I've ever gotten this many "keepers" out of one session with anyone, well, maybe with Aoife. But in many ways I think that is because Marzena and Aoife were very similar. Both super relaxed in front of the camera, and they moved naturally on their own. No stiff models not knowing what to do next here.

In all honesty though, Marzena has done some modelling work in her past. I think she said she did some legit work about 10 years ago, and even did some modelling for a local Wellington designer a couple years ago. It's sooo much nicer to shoot someone who's comfortable in front of the camera! Ya, and she's a bit of a ham too :)

Purely by coincidence she was wearing a really cool top, it had a mossy green patch on the front, sheer shoulders, and knitted neck and sleeves. It ended up looking awesome against the wall in the first room which was the same shade of green. She never realized until I mentioned it today :)

So as usual I processed a lot of images in multiple looks. For some reason they seemed to work well with many different tones, at least I think so. I was pleased that Marzena seemed to agree when I showed them to her today.

These last few are from a new series I'm going to try and add to with anyone I shoot in the future...Heart In Your Hands. Kinda hokey, but I've seen some similar photos online that I really liked and thought it'd be a cute idea to pursue over time.


No comments: