Tuesday, December 16, 2008

100 Strangers #37: Henry

This is number 37 of 100 in my 100 Strangers photo project.

This is Henry from Wellington. Born in Christchurch, he's lived all over the South Island of New Zealand, but considers Welligton "home" after moving her 2.5 years ago. One of the things he loves most about this city is the "melting pot" of cultures. He loves meeting people from different backgrounds and being exposed to their cultures.

I met Henry at People's Coffee, a cafe in Newtown that is touted as having possibly the best coffee in Wellington. I was at the art gallery next door waiting for someone and remembered that a colleague had asked me to pick up a bag of espresso grind for him. Henry and "Moarigunkami" (Stranger #38) were just cleaning up at the end of the day, but they were kind enough to sell me the grinds AND also pose for my pictures.

Henry's been working at People's for about 9 months now, but was turned onto their coffee long before that when he worked at a different cafe in town that used to serve coffee from Peoples' beans. After tasting the sweet goodness of his first espresso he was hooked, and today it's still his favourite coffee fix. The other bonus of working at People's for Henry is being in a workspace where everyone from staff to clientele are passionate about coffee.

So after botching my question of the day with Drew (Stranger #36), I made sure not to forget this time.

"What was the last thing you ate before becoming Stranger #37 Henry?" ...cous cous.

Thanks for participating Henry.

You can see the alternate portraits of Henry in my 100 Strangers Alternates set, and you can see my other strangers in my 100 Strangers set, and strangers from other participating photographers in the 100 Strangers flickr pool. Learn more about the 100 Strangers photo project here.

No comments: